Friday, May 12, 2017

Selfcare for the Single Life

If you are single and adulting on your own, good job!
In my experience it is a mixed blessing to be flying solo in life. I don't have to answer to anyone, but then I don't have anyone to help me out, like a partner.
And boy, doing everything yourself can be stressful and exhausting, especially if you do not have family around, or you are a single parent.

Self-Parenting

Not everyone gets the benefit of a healthy family and positive home life growing up. Whether you have aggressive, abusive, or overly permissive parents, an imbalanced relationship between parent and child can leave

Since not everyone can afford a spa day, or a month long sabbatical to clear your head, here are some tips that I have found helpful for living a life-style of mindful self-care.

Self-parenting means being able to tell yourself, "No" when you need to. Like not buying fast food because your budget allows for groceries and bills.

If self-parenting is a foreign concept to you, I recommend taking a parenting class. I found the classes that I attended to not only be informative, but very cathartic in my reconciliation with my very difficult child hood.

One concept I learned is that feelings are neither good nor bad, right nor wrong, they just are.
This statement gave me the assurance that I am allowed to feel and in turn I had more confidence in myself.

Structure

My best friend uses a Bullet Journal Planner to organize her life. She has her days, weeks, and months planned out. It is a great visual aid to remember your commitments, when bills are due, and to schedule self-care time. Also, she meal plans which helps with her grocery budget.

Living on a schedule takes the stress out of trying to remember what obligations you have to fulfill and when.
If you find that scheduling on your e-calendar to be a helpful tool, great! So long as you have what's going on manageable.

Plan Ahead

I am constantly thanking my past self for making preparations for my future self. Planning ahead for an eventuality is one way to limit stress in your life and a way to show self-love.

In addition to scheduling, here are some other ways to be prepared.
Budgeting; writing down your bills-rent, electric, car payment, insurance, savings, etc;
Meal prepping and writing a grocery list.
Keeping a list of what personal toiletry items, household items, and odds and ends that you need.
Choose your clothes for the next day before you go to bed, or even plan your outfits a week at a time.
Keep on top of your laundry by washing a load as soon as your hamper/basket is full.
Fill up your gas tank after work, so that you have a full tank on your way to work.

Organization

"A place for everything and everything in it's place."

I owe a lot of my inner peace and sanity to organizing many areas in my life.

I have developed the habit of putting my keys and purse in the same place when I get home so that I don't have to go searching for either one when I am heading out the door.

My kitchen is organized by different types of food items, dishes, utensils and so on.

I have my clothes hung up in my closet and my shoes lined up.

Containers are great to tidy up a messy space like a bathroom. My makeup is in a drawer, my hair products are in a cupboard and my hair appliances are in a drawer as well. Even my tooth brush and toothpaste are in a cupboard out of sight and safe from random airborne bacteria.

It gives me soooo much peace of mind to have my possessions not cluttering up my home.

Pamper Yourself

It is easy to do little things on a tight budget. One of the most relaxing things that you can do is take a bath with Epsom salts. You can add baking soda and essential oils as well. Light some candles and turn off the lights, maybe play some music.

Stretching and yoga have been very helpful for me. Intentionally moving your body and breathing are fantastic for grounding ones self.
Benefits of yoga:
  • Increased muscle strength and tone.
  • Improved respiration, energy and vitality.
  • Coordination, balance and increased flexibility.
  • Maintaining a balanced metabolism.
  • Weight reduction.
  • Cardio and circulatory health.
  • Improved athletic performance.

  • If it's in your budget a pedicure and manicure a favorite of mine for perking up my tires spirit. Getting my hair done is relaxing. Having a massage is so great and good for you too.

    Me Time

    I live 3 blocks from the beach and I love walking there. I lived near the mountains before and loved to go hiking. Walking is a great way to get your brain to process all of the little things that may be plaguing you. Walking by yourself is a great opportunity for you to focus on introspection and get to know yourself better.

    Writing in a journal is another great way to process what is going on in your life. The very act of using your hands to scrawl on paper what is in your head, has been proven to be therapeutic and even cathartic.


    Hobbies 

    My hobbies are crocheting, sketching, reading, and writing. I enjoy baking and cooking as well and find respite in the process of creation.

    Giving yourself the opportunity to exercise your creativity is so good for the spirit and mind. It also opens up the possibility of sharing your creations with others to inspire.

    Remember, when you take good care of yourself, then you feel better and you have more to give to others.


    If you have any comments, suggestions, or input, please do comment below.

    Namaste,
    Amy



    No comments:

    Post a Comment